Share | 

Character building thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The Pinkest Catgirl
Admin

PostSubject: Character building thread   Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:34 pm

I dunno it just seemed like a nice idea to have a thread where people can discuss making new characters or editing existing ones.
I was thinking of making the Tawfretians(Like Talon Hawke) look less "human", maybe giving them an elvish sorta look.
I was also thinking of changing Talon Locke from a stealth agent to someone who's like a combination of a Judge(from Judge Dredd) and a Spectre from Mass Effect. While also giving her a retcon in the form of "she was never an actual human, she was an AI from the beginning".
I'm also considering renaming Talon Erashous because I'm sick of overusing the same first name, I'm just terrible at first names.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://steamcommunity.com/id/TalonAran
Sivus Grahn
Admin

Location : the E.S.S Niflheim, conducting experiments on...Volunteers

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:58 am

So am I, but look at how many I made. Probably more than a dozen different ones (eh, probably more like two dozen).
Cool idea, on a separate note.

Sivus Grahn
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:17 am

And on that idea's note:
I have been nurturing the idea of a knight like federation special soldier. Unfortunately, while I have plenty of ideas in general, I have been having trouble with writing recently, though I'm actually writing one now that is closing in on finished that I'll be posting on TF, they're an immortal entity...well, I'll be posting it soon probably. (I'm also nursing the idea of making a new character type/rule)

The Pinkest Catgirl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:44 pm

That could be pretty cool. The space knight idea was a concept I had in mind for Hawke but that just sorta turned into her being from space australia. I'm also considering making it an armor setup for her because she has a more customizable setup.

On my characters' subject, I'm thinking of making Tawfret less humans/space elves-centric and more like just a world with a bunch of different types of aliens. After all it was somewhat silly how it was just a bunch of humans on one world, lots of races in Metroid after all.

Maybe making a character building subforum on both sites would be a nice idea.
Back to top Go down
Sivus Grahn
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:19 am

Well, technically, character registration is exactly that. But I get where you're coming from, yeah, it could be kind of cool to have something where everyone (probably just you and me right now mind you) can discuss potential character ideas. Before they actually get into writing it out in form.

The Pinkest Catgirl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:59 pm

On a TFRP topic, in that setting(matching with Hawke living underground for most of her life) Talon Hawke is a Dark Elf.
I honestly don't know why I put so much into working on the setting of Tawfret considering most RPs probably won't take place there, but yeah I stuck to the planet having a variety of different aliens. Some of them fantasy race-y, some of them being existing Metroid species(I'll probably have at least one of whatever Gandrayda is show up), but all of them are effected by Phazon in some way. And technology has progressed in a different way than the Federation since they were so far off from it.
I think the artifacts of the planet(artifacts make every Metroid planet interesting after all) will probably be ancient Elven in origin(or maybe the Chozo did actually dick around there for a while), though they haven't been reverse engineered enough for the Tawfretians to basically become space mages and the idea of Metroid elves having a big connection to magic is something I just sorta made up on the basis of them being elves.
Back to top Go down
Sivus Grahn
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:33 pm

Soooo...Making a "Hero" and "Demon-lord" set of characters for TFRP now. Could turn out interesting.

The Pinkest Catgirl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:42 pm

Sounds like it could be pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Sivus Grahn
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:10 am

Yeah, hopefully. I'm building a whole world concept for them. I'm also thinking I might start writing short (to not-so-short) stories about the world and those two characters. They're one of my few totally original world concepts that I bother making, and unlike many others, I can't really bring stuff from other worlds in, so it/they should stay pure.

The Pinkest Catgirl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:25 pm

I kinda feel like I rushed Talon getting her cybernetic arm, especially since I made the Ing work in a way where the Ing don't actually work to do it. I feel like a rematch with Leon around the same point(He had months to get used to his cybernetics and was maybe investigating the Treceran outbreak, maybe even hiding in her ship) would've been more fitting now that I think about it.
I might rewrite that particular encounter in a way that doesn't conflict at all with anything else, I dunno.
Back to top Go down
The Pinkest Catgirl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:10 pm

Also thinking of how to adapt Tawfret to the Endless Universe setting when we eventually start the site. I was thinking the Leviathan equivalent would be some form of giant magic rock the Elves summoned and dropped on an enemy capital during a war that ended up causing far more damage to the planet than they assumed, and being of a corruptive nature. Basically a space fantasy equivalent of the usual "the world got destroyed by nukes" scenario.
Back to top Go down
The Pinkest Catgirl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:04 pm

I'm considering giving Hawke psionic abilities, maybe something that requires some sort of focus for her to actually use(explaining why she doesn't tend to use them in the Tawfret events, or the Dead Planet RP). I'd drop the social enhancer concept in favor of some form of passive mind reading, and her cybernetic arm would be used as a psionic focus.
Had this idea because I'm dropping the concept of Locke ever having been a living being. She was an AI from the start with false memories.
Back to top Go down
Sivus Grahn
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:44 pm

No organic body? Cause that would lead to very different reactions from "Rose". The whole RP would have to be non-canoned (not that I would really mind honestly, I'm used to that).

The Pinkest Catgirl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:10 am

Locke, not Hawke. Hawke is still organic, just making her the psionic instead. Locke would be the one who was always synthetic.
Back to top Go down
The Pinkest Catgirl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:07 pm

I'm also probably gonna tone down her ability to copy her own brain to other things because I think it makes her OP/Unkillable basically on a boss level. Maybe have it take a good amount of time(it's copying a complicated human-like artificial intelligence, after all)
Also her "name" comes from a manufacturing code thing written on her first artificial body reading T410N-L0CK3 which she mistook for a name tag, which the federation science team sorta rolled with because they needed her thinking like a sentient being. (It's sort of a silly explanation but I'd rather do that than another name retcon like with Laelia Erashous)

I just have random waves of thinking of ways I could improve random characters, I realize I haven't played Locke in a while.
Back to top Go down
Sivus Grahn
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:20 am

It all sounds pretty cool man. Me, the only thing I'm doing on here (still working on a character and a new rule, the former of which has been nearly complete for almost a month, the latter of which hasn't been written up at all, but I actually had it totally plotted out in my head from scratch TWICE. Those are for TF) is I'm about to make a few changes to "Dead Zone" and "Apocalypse"...Namely, "Dead Zone" is going to no longer be a thing, He'll be getting the "Apocalypse" tag, and the one who had it before is getting renamed to Arma (short for Armageddon, another one of the character's names at points in their life), because it fits him more, you know? The whole "planet conqueror" thing isn't always peaceful, and he tends to unleash Ragnarok (the name being taken from one culture's view of the apocalypse, and frequently being used to refer to the event that leads up to the apocalypse) on planets that either don't submit, or aren't made up of his creations but he wants control over anyway, typically followed by a short bloody war, and total ownership of the planet. Whereas "Arma" just kinda floats around in space in one of several giant ships and MAYBE destroys a planet every now and then (not usually though). So at MOST...Armageddon. Or potentially a name, so I'm just hitting the middle ground.

The Pinkest Catgirl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:49 am

That all sounds cool.
Would the arm be advanced enough to automatically detect psionic potential in a user and work as a focus? I'm trying to think of how she'd be able to actually control it using the arm. Maybe she absorbs psyker technology the Tawfretian Alliance has(I'm gonna call it that just because when I think Dominion I think the bad guys from Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty)
Plus it's an Alliance of all the Tawfret system planets.

Edit: Updated the profiles for Hawke and Locke.
Back to top Go down
Sivus Grahn
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:08 pm

"rose" would have had to know beforehand that Talon was psionic and specially requested psionic focal points to be built into the arm, otherwise it wouldn't work. Also, sorry for getting the two confused, I only just saw the post you made clarifying.

The Pinkest Catgirl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:45 am

It could probably just absorb Psyker tech then. Which is basically that psi amp thing from system shock.
Could also say she informed her offscreen, maybe she knew just over the course of the Tawfret story she lost her amp.
Back to top Go down
Sivus Grahn
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:07 am

Maybe. I dunno really.

In other news, I'm working on a new character for MU that I'm actually writing and not just thinking about. YAY! She's basically Espera Nota's biological daughter/clone and essentially functions as the intro character for a race which will be made "popular" through the currently named "Apocalypse" (hopefully I'll actually do that whole name changing thing sometime in the near future). I also wrote up a faction of the Esperian Empire to go with her bio. It's called The Hunters Guild, or just Hunter's Guild alternatively, and they function basically as the "Hunters" category within the Empire. Though, I have actually fleshed them out a bit more than the Space Hunters are for the GF.

The Pinkest Catgirl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:35 pm

That all sounds pretty cool, not really sure what else to say.

On a character aesthetic note I decided instead of using Destiny for power armor design for Talon Hawke I'm going to use my Pathfinder in Mass Effect Andromeda when it comes out since I like the armor aesthetic of that game more.
Back to top Go down
The Pinkest Catgirl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:12 pm

I posted the revised version of Talon Hawke losing her hand that I'd use if I replace the way it happened, posted it in the "death of talon aran and misc stories" thread.
Back to top Go down
The Pinkest Catgirl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:39 pm

Bit of backstory I'll work into Hawke when I'm less tired, she was a skilled pilot/driver for the Sons of Tawfret, and before she joined up with them she tended to participate in races. The tech for hovering vehicles is still around but she used a more modern-ish(for our time) car due to them being preferred for races due to having better traction.
Plus they're just relatively simpler to put together than hover systems, which is why the sons of tawfret and even tawfretian authority used wheeled vehicles.
Back to top Go down
Sivus Grahn
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:04 am

Hey hey! I got the hardest part of my new character (the History) worked out! It does kinda feel rushed near the end, but I didn't feel any need to put more detail in, that's the only reason. The important stuff is all at the beginning.

The Pinkest Catgirl
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:56 pm

That's always pretty good myan.
I feel like more of my "backstory" for Hawke is less backstory for her and more worldbuilding for Tawfret at this point.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Character building thread   

Back to top Go down

Character building thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next